Monday, April 18, 2011

Made Holy by Prayer



Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi, Italy
Last fall my husband and I were in Italy for almost three weeks. We had leisurely three course meals and drank some very good Italian wine.  We visited several museums and many churches filled with frescos, paintings, mosaics, and sculptures.  Often when we entered a church there would be many others who had come just to see the art.  But many times I was moved by how many people were clearly there to pray.  They would be kneeling in front of a bank of lighted votive candles, or sitting in one of the pews in front of a painting, or looking at a statue of the Virgin or a saint.  They had come into this place made holy by hundreds of years of intercession and thanksgiving to add their own prayers.  Seeing those people engaged in strengthening their connection with God made me stop briefly and add my own silent prayers of intercession for my loved ones whom I missed and prayers of thanksgiving for the gift of safe and rewarding travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment