Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Creation in Bloom

Yesterday was my first day back to my painting group for six months - since before my two stem cell transplants. Part of the joy of being in that group is the drive to and from Rockport. Route 128 is lined with trees on that route and every single time, the trees look different, depending on the season. Yesterday, I could just catch a hint of green budding on the branches - a sure sign that REAL spring is coming, not these teasers we've been having. Joy and exhilaration filled me - and those words are not too strong for how I felt, almost overcome by the dependability of creation, renewing itself every spring. I decided to take the long way home and, as I meandered through Lanesville and Annisquam, I had the same feelings of joy and exhilaration, gazing at the dogwoods in full bloom and the yellow forsythia bursting with life. For me, just allowing myself to experience that overwhelming beauty brings me into God's presence and is one of the deepest forms of my prayer life. I keep forgetting my camera. Maybe next week I'll remember. I want to try to capture some of the beauty for future painting inspiration - and for a tangible reminder of the eternal renewal of life in creation.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a forsythia in bloom on my way to yoga class this morning. Next to it was a tree filled with white blooms. It spite of how gray and rainy the day was I felt a warm glow and a sense of God's presence just looking at the yellow and white blooms. Real spring is indeed on its way and I am grateful for God setting the certainty of the seasons in motion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I spent most of Holy Week at our place in the country about 70 miles outside of St. Louis, Missouri. The dogwood trees have never been this abundantly, vibrantly beautiful (as far as we can recall). I cannot imagine that this sense of beauty, abundance and new life could be captured in a photo, but I believe that a painting may be able to do so.

    ReplyDelete